
Photo by Ariel Pacheco
The Regal Concourse movie theater held its grand opening, as promised, on March 18 at the former site of Multiplex Cinema, which closed in May 2024, on Concourse Plaza in the Concourse section of The Bronx. The latest opening now brings the number of movie theaters in the borough to a grand total of two, the other being The Mall at Bay Plaza in the East Bronx.
Speaking at the grand opening, Bronx Borough President Vanessa Gibson said, “This is not just a movie theater, but it is going to be a space of entertainment, of job growth, of tourism, revitalizing our community, of making sure we get back to basic family fun.”
The theater has been revamped with reclining seats, surround sound, and incorporates 10 screening rooms. Recently, Regal Cinemas has hosted some charity screenings at just $3 a ticket, with proceeds going to the Police Athletic League and Turn 2 Foundation.

Photo by Ariel Pacheco
John Curry, senior vice president of Regal Cinemas, said, “It’s us that really have to thank you all for welcoming us to the community. We’re proud to be here in The Bronx, and we want Regal Concourse to be your home for movies and entertainment.”
Bronx Borough President Vanessa L. Gibson told Norwood News, “Generations of families have come to this multiplex movie theater here at Concourse Plaza and it was a part of our fabric. When we learned about its closure last year, we were heartbroken.”

Photo by Ariel Pacheco
She added, “We got a lot of feedback, good and bad, about what it meant, and it felt like we were losing movie theaters in The Bronx. We were down to one, the Mall in Bay Plaza, but also the memories that were created, and that the next generation would not get to experience that was really heartfelt, and I felt that.”
Of Regal, she added, “They took a chance and they’re investing in us.” She said the borough had to now show Regal that it was a worthy investment. “We have to show them with our actions, we have to show up, we have to engage, and we have to spread information that we will make this not just an important investment, but we will capture that family fun activity for this generation of young people.”

Photo by Ariel Pacheco
Hibachi Grill, located above the theater, is a buffet-style restaurant with ample seating for those wishing to grab a bite either before or after a movie, and Concourse Plaza is also home to a number of stores.
Since the COVID-19 pandemic, many Hollywood and other film stars have spoken in recent years of their wish for movie-goers to experience their movies in a traditional cinematic setting rather than at home, not just because of the big screen, but also for the joy of going on a collective emotional journey and sharing that communal experience with fellow movie lovers.

Photo by Ariel Pacheco
Academy award winner Cillian Murphy, who won an Oscar in 2024 for his portrayal of the theoretical physicist, Robert Oppenheimer, recently bought, along with his wife, the local Phoenix movie theater in the small coastal town of Dingle in Ireland, rather than see it shutter. The Phoenix cinema had been operating in Ireland for over 100 years until it closed in 2021.
Back in The Bronx, Andrew, a movie-goer in attendance on the night of the opening, shared his thoughts on the new Regal venture, saying, “We had to go all the way to Bay Plaza or down to Manhattan to watch a movie. We needed this back open.”

Photo courtesy of the Bronx Independent Cinema Center
In other movie-related news, Bronx Independent Cinema Center (BICC) is launching the first of its “Friday Film Screening” series at the Andrew Freedman Home, 1125 Grand Concourse, Bronx, NY 10452, on Friday, April 4. Doors open at 6 p.m. for a 7 p.m. screening. As reported, BICC recently launched a film club. Read more about that here.
Regal Concourse is located at 214 East 161st Street, Bronx NY 10451. Regal Crown members get a free popcorn treat with a ticket purchase.